Welcome to the OpenTutorial Community Portal
You can help build OpenTutorial into a more comprehensive how to site and wiki community by editing and creating new tutorials. If you create an account, you can track your changes and more.
Community Bulletin Board
your OpenTutorial related news and announcements here!
To Do or What Can I do to Help?
- After a long time of neglecting this site I've made a bunch of changes, including upgrading MediaWiki but most importantly I repopened it to public editing. I had closed it quite a while back due to vandalism from spam bots and I didn't have the time to deal with it properly. So please add to this site. I plan on being more hands on with OT from now on. --Hapa 17:23, 5 July 2012 (MST)
- I'm preparing to upgrade to the latest version of MediaWiki v1.13.3. I'm currently backing up the existing wiki, and I'll be doing the upgrade within the next week or so. I'm also contemplating adding the Facebook Connect extension so if you have a Facebook account you can easily edit pages using your Facebook Identity. See Extension:FBConnect for more details --Hapa 12:57, 22 January 2009 (MST)
- I fixed the Newpages extension by replacing it with a hacked version of the Magpierss extension by Mutante It's pretty cool as it adds a little RSS functionality to the site. --Hapa 09:58, 2 July 2007 (MST)
- YAY!!! I successfully hacked the ISBN feature of MediaWiki 1.10.0 to use my Amazon.com script in conjunction with Amazon's mouse_over ads! The hack also accepts ASIN numbers as well as ISBN. It took me about 4 hours to figure out how to do it. I don't think I like regex it's very confusing. The only think I have left to do if figure out how to make the Newpages extension to work. --Hapa 20:04, 16 June 2007 (MST)
- Ok I successfully upgraded the Wiki to version 1.10.0. the Newpages extension broke, I may try to figure out how to fix it or maybe there's a better one available. The way ISBN tags are handled in 1.10 is different then 1.7. I was able to fix the ISBN hack but my ASIN hack needs a little work. Also I need to remember how I hacked the search page to include Google searching, that should be a piece of cake. Also the reCaptcha feature seems to be working so hopefully no more spam bots. I currently have reCaptcha on for every edit, I may change this at a later date but for now I'd rather be safe than sorry --Kolomona 08:24, 15 June 2007 (MST)
- Somebody's been spamming my Wiki! I don't like that very much so I need to fix it. As far as I can tell it's a spambot creating a bunch of user accounts, then using those accounts to spam new pages and vandalize existing pages with a whole bunch of external links. So until I can remedy the problem in a better manner, no user will be able to edit a page. My plan to fix it is to upgrade to the latest version of MediaWiki and installing some sort of Captcha system. I will tackle this problem ASAP. I'm a little apprehensive 'cause I went ahead and hacked up this version of MediaWiki quite a bit and I know that I'm gonna have to figure out how to re-create those hacks into the new version, which I'm sure will be challenging at best. Oh, well wish me luck. --Hapa 17:40, 14 June 2007 (MST)
- Upgraded to PHP 5 and MediaWiki Version 1.7.1 today. Some extensions are acting abnormally I'll be troubleshooting them through the next week or so.--Hapa 13:40, 25 July 2006 (MDT)
- I added a ASIN feature to the wiki which allows anyone to automatically include info about any Amazon.com product directly into your page. It works in exactly the same way as the ISBN feature Example: (ASIN B000002U82 Makes (ASIN B000002U82 --Hapa 10:56, 11 July 2006 (MST)
- Changed the ISBN feature to automatically include the book title and provide a "tool-tip" style window with an image of the book and a link to Amazon.com Example: (ISBN 1894959248 Makes (ISBN 1894959248 --Hapa 12:14, 6 July 2006 (MST)
- Created an Ultimate Vision statement for OpenTutorial --Hapa 07:54, 29 June 2006 (MST)
- I'm experimenting with Kontera contextual ads on the site. If they are too annoying I'll take them off --Hapa 16:31, 25 June 2006 (MST)
- Created a "Todo" page User:Hapa/Todo to help me keep on task, feel free to post to it if there's something you would like mr to do. --Hapa 23:16, 9 May 2006 (MST)
- Created Template:Template messages for useful template reference, now to just finish it.--Hapa 23:16, 9 May 2006 (MST)
- I Updated the Wiki to Version 1.6.3 Yay! Now I have to figure out the new monobook.php --Hapa 11:59, 24 April 2006 (MST)
- Added a OpenTutorial Promotions Page OpenTutorial:Promote --Hapa 11:59, 24 April 2006 (MST)
- Added a Links Page for others to promote their sites Links --Hapa 11:59, 24 April 2006 (MST)