How to make a rocket stove from cinder blocks
Wikipedia defines a rocket stove as:
"A rocket stove is an innovative clean and efficient cooking stove using small diameter wood fuel which is burned in simple high-temperature combustion chamber containing an insulated vertical chimney which ensures complete combustion prior to the flames reaching the cooking surface."
What You Will Need
- 5 Cinder blocks
- A chisel
- A hammer
- A small piece of sheet metal or wire mesh
- Safety glasses or goggles
- Dry branches to burn
- Matches or a lighter
Chisel Out Wall
To make an access area for the fire chamber you must chisel out a portion of the wall on one of the cinder blocks
- Don your safety glasses or goggles
- Using the hammer and chisel carefully remove the front portion of the wall of block #2
Stack The Blocks
- You must place the cinder blocks on firm level ground
- Place block #1 so that it is on it's side with the holes parallel to the ground
- Place block #2 on top of block #1 with the holes perpendicular to the ground
- Place block #3 on top of block #2 with it's holes perpendicular to the ground
- Place block #4 on top of block #2 with it's holes also perpendicular to the ground
- Place Block #5 standing on it's end so that the top hole lines up with the cut out for the fire chamber
- Place sheet metal or wire mesh in the top hole of block #5 so that it is in the middle of the hole parallel to the ground.
Light It Up
I found it easier to move block #5 out of the way in order to light the fire.
- Place some paper and small kindling in the fire chamber and light.
- Once you have a sustainable fire in the firebox then place Block #5 back into position.
- ISBN 0967452406
- ISBN 1878087169
- ISBN 0865716269
Amazon's Related Products
- ASIN B001ICJ3SO
- ASIN B0052V9WOM
- ASIN B000BQK602