Point a hughesnet broadband satellite dish
This tutorial will explain how to point or re-peak A HughesNet broadband Internet dish. With a DW6000, DW7000, HN7000, or a HN700S modem. This tutorial assumes that you already have a HughesNet dish properly installed and a modem properly commissioned. This tutorial will be helpful in cases where the dish has been bumped or otherwise has been misaligned and just needs to be realigned.
NOTE: This page is currently undergoing a major edit. As a courtesy, please do not make edits to this page while this message is posted, in order to avoid edit conflicts.
The pointing at a HughesNet broadband Internet satellite dish is a two part process. The first part consists of locating and maximizing the signal from the satellite. The second part consists of maximizing your cross polarization of the dish.
- A half inch wrench
- A compass
- An OPI
- A computer
- A HughesNet modem
- A pen and paper
- A level
Part one Locating and Maximizing the Satellite Signal.
- Using the level make sure that your mast is perfectly plumb. If your mast is not level it will be very difficult if not impossible to find the satellite signal.
- Connect the OPI as shown in figure one
- Activate the antenna pointing program by typing in the address http://192.168.0.1/fs/registration/setup.html then click antenna pointing.
- Make sure the enable OPI check box is checked click next
- On a piece of paper record the azimuth, skew, and tilt settings listed.
- Click the "show signal strength button" a popup window will appear displaying your current signal strength.
- Go out to the dish set the elevation on the dish to the angle given on the piece of paper.
- Using your compass roughly point the dish in the direction given. For help with this see the tutorial How to Use a compass
- Slowly sweep the dish from side to side while watching for the signal on your opi to go higher than 30.
- If you cannot get your signal above 30 then adjust your elevation up or down by 1°. Then repeat these side to side sweeping and elevation adjustment until a signal higher than 30 is reached.
- If your signal goes to 30 and stays at 30 many may be locked onto the wrong satellite. If this is the case then recheck your compass heading, and start over.
- My OPI only blinks 8L8 or 8H8 at me.
- My OPI will not go higher than 30
- I don’t have an OPI can I still point my dish?
- ( ISBN 1402076592
- ( ISBN 0471784036
- ( ISBN 0971677719
Amazon's Related Products
- ( ASIN B0001654GS
- ( ASIN B0006FS2MW
- ( ASIN B0001D3K8A
- How to Use a compass