Disable windows autoplay
How to Disable Windows Autoplay Feature several methods described for windows 2000, XP, ME and 9x
Group Policy Method
The local group policy editor method:
- Click Start
- Click Run
- Enter GPEDIT.MSC
Group Policy mmc will popup. On left panel
- Double-click Computer Configuration to open submenu
- Double-click Administrative Templates to open submenu
- Double-click System to open submenu
- Double-click Turn autoplay off option which will be near the bottom of the list in the right panel.
The default is the Not configured . Set it to Enabled.
To disable, set Autorun=0 to enable, set Autorun=1. Cut and paste the following Registry script text into autocdrom.reg file and run it:
- Open Notepad
- Cut and paste the following Registry script text below into notepad
- Save the file onto your desktop as noautorun.reg
- Close notepad
- Double click the noautorun.reg file on your desktop
- Answer yes when asked if your sure you want to add the information
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom] "AutoRun"=dword:00000000
Shift Close Method
Also works for Win 9x If Autorun is enabled, you can disable the feature for any particular CD by holding down the shift key as you close the CDRom drawer.
This is not permanent, you must hold shift down each time you pit a disk in.
Windows 9x / ME
Device Manager Method
- Go to Control Panel
- Double-click the System icon
- Click Device Manager tab
- Find your CD-ROM drive in the list
- Go to Properties page.
- Click on the Settings tab
- Uncheck Auto Insert Notification box
- Restart your computer
See Shift method for windows xp above
|This Tutorial in incomplete and is a work in progress|
|Please be patient as the author will resume work on it shortly|