Difference between revisions of "Change a tire"
(removed adsense template)
|Line 70:||Line 70:|
Latest revision as of 22:08, 20 August 2007
This Tutorial explains How to Change an Automobile Tire, covering safety, jacking of the vehicle, jack stands, the removal and replacement of a tire, and proper lug nut torque settings.
How to Change an Automobile Tire
- lug wrench or impact driver
- jack Stand
- spare tire
- torque wrench
Before you Begin:
- Place the automobile on a flat hard surface, preferably concrete.
- Place the transmition in park(automatic) or in 1st gear(Manual).
- Set the parking brake
- Chock the Tires
Loosen Lug Nuts
Use the lug wrench to loosen the lug nuts in the following order
TODO:Insert graphic of lug removal patterns
Jack the Vehicle
Jack the vehicle to appropriate height. See the owners manual for proper use of the jack and for the proper jacking of the vehicle.
Place Jack Stand
Place the jack stand in the appropriate place of the vehicle as per the owners manual instructions
Remove the lug nuts and the tire.
Place New Tire
Place the new tire on the lugs and tighten them by hand only (see caution below)
Remove the jack stand and slowly lower the vehicle to the ground keeping body parts and other objects away from it's path.
Tighten Lug Nuts
Using the torque wrench, tighen the lug nuts as per the image below.
TODO:Insert graphic of lug tightening patterns
Remove the tire chock
Clean Up Check List
- Make sure you have pulled the jack stand free from the vehicle
- completely remove the jack
- completely remove the tire chocks
- before you move the vehicle look around to make sure nothing has sneeked into your work area (beer bottles, soda cans, small children) ;)