Make recycled paper
Jump to navigation Jump to search
How to Make Recycled Paper
You can make your own recycled paper at home! Warning: this can be messy, so get help from a grown-up and do not wear any nice clothes that you would worry about ruining.
What You Will Need
- Screen, small window size
- Press with vice
- Bed sheets, cut into a size bigger than the screen
- Tub - to hold the mix
- A messy work area!
- Magazines that need to be recycled
- Paint (acrylic)
What to do
- Cut magazine pages into two-inch squares and put into the blender. Add both water and paint (just a little bit of paint). Blend.
- Dump the mixture in the tub and repeat the above step until tub is full. The consistency of the mix should be like oatmeal.
- Get the press out and have your sheets ready to go. Place one sheet down on the press and make sure it is flat.
- Once the tub is full, take the wire screen and dip it into the mix horizontally. Lift the screen horizontally and let the water drain off.
- Take the screen and flip it over onto the press with the sheet. Take a cloth or a rag and wipe the back of the screen until you feel like the mix is stuck to the sheet.
- Continue this process until the mixture in the tub is empty or when your press can not hold anymore sheets of paper.
- Place the top of the press on the sheets, and vice the press for a couple of hours.
- Open the press and carefully lift each sheet individually with paper intact. Hang on the clothes line with clothes pins. Let dry overnight.
- Separate the sheet from the paper, and begin cutting glueing paper into the shape and size you want it to be.
- Iron out the finished product. Congratulations -- you have paper!
- (ISBN 0316309435
- (ISBN 075345503X
- (ISBN 0070391564